Wednesday, October 17, 2012

On Feeding Baby

Do any of you mamas out there struggle with what to feed your baby?

We started feeding Noah solids when he was around 5 months.  He took it like a champ, one bite of pureed bananas and he was hooked.  It was a little too easy.

Now, at 10 months, I can hardly get him to eat a thing.  He became Mr. Independent around 8-9 months and will have nothing to do with anything involving a spoon.

So, onto the finger foods I suppose.  We started with Gerber Lil' Crunchies and he took to them right away.  I snuck a bite of a crunchy one day and found it's basically no more than a glorified Cheeto.  No wonder N devours them.  I'm trying hard to stick to fruits and veggies and not get hooked on salty, cracker snacks.  (I know, talk to me a year from now and see how I'm doing...).  But for now, Lil' Crunchies are in the "Mama's Desperate to feed you" pile.

We've tried avocado, mango, bananas, pears, canned veggies, soup, cooked whole wheat rotini . . . Need I go on?  I literally have tried everything.  Another favorite - roasted acorn squash.  But the dilemma lies in him not being able to pick up the slippery, squish-able stuff! I've made sweet potatoes a few times, too.  I bake a sweet potato, mix it with a spoonful of vanilla greek yogurt, a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of brown sugar.  Let me tell you, this is GOOD.  I would eat it by the spoonful.  But Noah keeps a good yard between him and the nearest spoon. 



I'm desperate, people.  I've resorted to these super-handy food pouches.  They cost an arm and a leg and I cringe every time I check out, but if it's finally getting Noah to eat fruits and vegetables, I'll cave.  Mostly I just worry that he's not eating enough, and what am I going to do in two months when we're finished nursing?


Do you have any tried and true finger food recipes and meal ideas for your independent babies?  I'm all ears, over here.

In other news, do you guys use reusable food bags?  We would go through a box of ziplock bags a week, I swear.  We love Smitten Baby reusable bags for everything from whole wheat waffles on the go, to the banned Lil' Crunchies.  It's so nice to just be able to rinse and reuse.  And it helps that they are adorable, too.  Find them here: {http://smittenbaby.com/products/snack_podz.html}


That's all I've got on the topic of baby eating.  Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment